In the name of Allah the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful. I praise Allah, the Exalted just as He has praised Himself and I seek peace and blessings for His greatest Messenger, our leader, Muhammad S.A.W, the bearer of good news and the Admonisher. May it extend unto his Family, Companions and the generality of all Prophets of Allah and Messengers.
In the name of Allah the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful.
I praise Allah, the Exalted just as He has praised Himself and I seek peace and blessings for His greatest Messenger, our leader, Muhammad S.A.W, the bearer of good news and the Admonisher. May it extend unto his Family, Companions and the generality of all Prophets of Allah and Messengers.
I bring to you exhortations derived from Zabura (Psalms) which was revealed to Prophet Dawud(David) as one of the four major scriptures sent to mankind through the Prophets of Allah.
Among the six articles of faith, believing in the books sent by Allah namely; At-Taurah(the commandments given to Musah A.S), Zabura(The psalms given to Dawud A.S), Injeela(the gospel given to Isa A.S) and the Qur'an(Given to our beloved Prophet Muhammad S.A.W as the last of the books) remember the scrolls were also given to Ibrahim A.S as Allah says: the books of Ibrahim and Musah CH. 87: 19. Below are the exhortations from Zabura which one has to ponder on deeply.
1. I wonder for the one who is certain that there is death, and yet he laughs. And Allah the Exalted said: " Then let them laugh a little and weep much, as the reward of what they used to earn" (Qur'an 9:82)
The Prophet S.A.W is reported to have said in a hadith, Abu Hurairah narrated that the Messenger of Allah s.a.w. said: "Increase in remembrance of the severer of pleasures" . Meaning death.( Tirmidhi, Zuhd, 4)
2. I wonder for the one who is certain that the grave exists and yet rejoices! it is the house of everyone which whatever we meet inside it is built by our own deeds.
3. I wonder for the one who is certain that there is accountability, and yet accumulates wealth through sinful means! it's high time we the youth begin to be careful of the source of our wealth no matter how tempting it may be in times of we being in need of money or how much may be involved in a business. Let's inculcate the habit of asking our scholars meaning seeking their counsel in businesses we may want to engage in that's why Allah says: " If you realise this not, ask of those who possess the message. " (Qur'an 21:7). In a hadith Ka'b bin Iyad narrated that the Prophet s.a.w said: " Indeed there is a Fitnah for every ummah and the Fitnah for my ummah is wealth". (Tirmidhi, Zuhd, 33)
4. I wonder for the one who is certain that the grave exists with its narrowness and yet laughs(hysterically)!
5. I wonder for the one who is certain that there is life after death and its woe, pleasure and eternity and yet does forget about it!
6. I wonder for the one who is certain that there is Hell fire and its chastisement and yet sleeps without fleeing from it! Here it's referring to we not striving to protect ourselves from it as Allah tells us in His book: " O ye who believe! Save yourselves and your families from a fire whose fuel is men and stones, over which are angels stern and sever, who flinch not the commands they receive from Allah, but do what they are commanded" . (Qur'an 66:6) and the Prophet admonishes us to save ourselves from the fire even if it's with a piece of date. We should be mindful of our actions and the words we utter though we may belittle them. On the authority of Abu Hurairah, that the Messenger of Allah s.a.w said: Let him who believes in Allah and the Last Day speak good or keep silent.(40 Hadith Nawawi, 15 )
7. I wonder for the one who is certain that there is Paradise and its pleasure and yet sleeps without seeking it! One should never belittle a good deed and should not give it the chance to pass him by when he can perform it. For none knows the good deed that Allah the Merciful, may use to grant him paradise out of his mercy. Remember the prostitute who gave water to a thirsty dog with her shoes and Allah forgave her her sins and admitted her into paradise. Allah's mercy and forgiveness is vast such that one cannot measure as he says (paraphrasing): Verily your Lord is ample in forgiveness (Qur'an 53:32). This is a broad topic on its own which I cannot exhaust here. But the point is, whatever good that comes our way let us seize it and perform it with sincerity meaning for the sake of Allah and not the praise of mankind.
8. I wonder for the one who is certain about this world and its transience, and yet trusts in it implicitly!
9. I wonder for the one who is certain that he is learned verbally but ignorant in heart, how shall he succeed! Allah says in Qur'an 62:5 : The likeness of those who are entrusted with the Law of Moses, yet apply it not, is as the likeness of the donkey carrying books. for the donkey carries the books without understanding them.
10. I wonder for the one who is sad over the decrease in his wealth while he is not sad over the decrease in his life as a believer we've been taught by the Prophet s.a.w on the authority of Abdullah ibn Umar, who said: The Messenger of Allah s.a.w took me by the shoulder and said, " Be in this world as though you were a stranger or a wayfarer". And ibn Umar used to say , " In the evening do not expect to live until the morning and in morning do not expect to live until the evening. Take advantage of your health before times of sickness and take advantage of your life before your death". (40 Nawawi, 40)
11. I wonder for the one who use water to clean himself while he is not clean at heart!
12. I wonder for the who is preoccupied by the faults of others while he forgets about his own faults! for this reason The Most High says His book: O you who believe! Shun much suspicion; for lo! Some suspicion is a crime. And spy not, neither backbite one another. Would one of love to eat the flesh of his dead brother? You abhor that! And keep your duty to Allah. Lo! Allah is Relenting, Merciful. (Qur'an 49:12) and His Messenger added in a beautiful saying on the authority of Abu Hurairah who said : The Messenger of Allah s.a.w said: "Part of the perfection of one's Islam is his leaving that which does not concern him" (40 Nawawi, 12) but one should not misconcept about advising people about a bad behavior for in another hadith reported on the authority of Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudri who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah s. a.w say, "Whosever of you sees an evil, let him change it with his hand, and if he is not able to do so, then with his tongue(advice), and if he is not able to do so, then with his heart and that is the weakest of faith" (40 Nawawi, 34)
13. I wonder for the one who knows Allah sees him, and yet disobeys Him! at this point I say if the favours of Allah doesn't bring you closer to Him, then let your sins which Allah has concealed for you bring you closer to Him and none reminds you if Him then indeed the heart is hardened in obeying Allah and may Allah save us from this.
14. I wonder for the one who knows that he will die alone, be buried alone and be made to render account of his deeds alone and yet he socialises with people! Why doesn't he spend his time with his Lord, and His Messenger by saying always: There's no deity but Allah, Muhammad is truly and sincerely the Messenger of Allah. this draws our attention to the remembrance of Allah which purifies the heart and brings one closer to Allah and His Messenger s.a.w. Allah says: O you who believe! Remember Allah with much remembrance. And glorify Him early and late. (Qur'an 33:41-42)
Let's ponder on these exhortations deeply and work with it. May Allah pardon the mistakes found in this submission and grant us the reward in it. Ameen
By: Musah Issahaku (Abu Ishaq Annabahani)